As a data controller, George and the Giant Pledge takes its responsibilities under the GDPR very seriously. Our lawful bases for processing your data are as follows:
- We have a legitimate interest in processing your data for the purposes of improving our products, services and website to run our fundraising effectively and efficiently
- We ask for your specific and informed consent to communicate with you by email, SMS and telephone for marketing and feedback purposes.
- Lastly, we process data where it is necessary for the performance of a contract. For example, we need your personal details in order to send you items ordered through our shop or to process your direct debit, both of which represent a contract.
The personal data we process on this basis include contact and identification details, financial transactions and records of interactions.
We process some of your personal data in a manner that you would reasonably expect to pursue our legitimate interests. We have carefully balanced your interests against our interests when deciding whether this is appropriate. Our legitimate interests and the purposes for processing that fall under each of them are as follows:
Processing and record keeping
- Process your donation(s)
- Acknowledge any donation(s) we receive
- Managing feedback and complaint
- Keeping a record of your communications with us
- Supporting your fundraising activities
Understanding and improving our products and services
- Analysing and segmenting data in order to ensure we understand your support and are sending you communications tailored to you and your interests
- Blocking disruptive use of our website, record website traffic, personalise the way our information is presented to you
- Keeping a record of communications
- Keeping a record of website activity
Targeted digital or social media marketing
We may use the information you provide to ensure our digital and social media advertising is effective – this might include secure provision of demographic details to digital advertising networks or to social media companies. This could mean your information allows us to show online ads to you and to others like you. Any information we share will be securely encrypted and you can ask us not to share your information in this way by getting in touch.
However, you should bear in mind that even when you have asked us not to share your information for this purpose, you may still see adverts relating to our cause. This will be because the ad network or social media site has selected you based on information they hold, or settings you have on your device or profile with them, without using any information provided by George and the Giant Pledge.
If you want to manage the advertising you see through social media sites you can find out how here:
The categories of personal data we process on this basis may include contact and identification details.
We may contact you for marketing purposes by email, telephone, mobile telephone or text but only with your explicit opt-in consent. It is your choice what type of communications and information you receive about our Charity and the ways in which you can get involved.
We will also obtain your consent when we collect sensitive personal data from you, unless you have clearly and deliberately shared the relevant information in public.
You can change your mind about consent or withdraw it at any time by accessing your account.
Compliance with a legal obligation
The categories of personal data we process on this basis include contact and identification details, financial transactions and records of interaction.
When necessary for the performance of a contract
The categories of personal data we process on this basis include contact and information details as well as your PayPal email address and related financial transactions.
We may send you service communications for example when you place an order for goods or services on our website. We also need data to be able to service your direct debit. Without the relevant personal data here, it would not be possible to carry out the contract with you.